Super-successful from our point of view, very helpful and relevant to us. The staff were very positive and some good ideas have come from the training.
Practice Educator, Queen Mary's Hospital
We offer training to care staff, managers and family carers supporting people with dementia. Most recently we ran a series of course with Carers Lewisham (Spring 2016), Wandsworth Carers (Summer 2016) and the Mary Seacole Ward at Queen Mary's Hospital in Roehampton (November 2016).
This training helps carers think creatively about how they communicate with the person they care for, focusing on imaginative techniques for non-verbal communication in every day activities.
Techniques and tools are based on our creative performances Once Upon a Time and The Garden - each is tailored to participant’s mode of communication, physicality and engagement.
During bespoke training sessions, Spare Tyre staff help carers to:
- plan and prepare creative activity using a person-centred approach
- conduct thoughtful and responsive interaction(s) with residents using multisensory techniques such as touch, taste, sound and smell
- gain confidence and knowledge using creative engagement
- use and understand the value of non-verbal communication
- engage with reflective practice
- get access to mentoring
Contact Amy for more information and to book: 020 8692 4446 (ext. 273).